Sunday, 23 August 2026

"The Empty Pot"

 "The Empty Pot"




The Empty Pot

Long ago in China, there lived a wise and aging emperor who loved flowers more than anything else. His gardens were filled with beautiful blossoms from every corner of the kingdom. As he grew older, however, he faced an important problem: he had no children and needed to choose someone worthy to become the next emperor.

Instead of selecting the strongest warrior or the richest noble, he decided to find the most honest child in the land.

One day, he invited all the children in the kingdom to the palace. To each child, he gave a single flower seed.

"Take this seed," the emperor said. "Plant it in a pot, care for it with all your heart, and return in one year. I will choose my successor based on what you bring back."

Among the children was a boy named Ping, who loved gardening. He hurried home, planted his seed in fresh soil, watered it carefully, and placed it in the sunlight.

Days passed.

Then weeks.

But nothing grew.

Ping changed the soil, watered just the right amount, and made sure the pot had enough warmth and light. Still, the pot remained empty.

Months went by, and Ping became discouraged. While other children talked excitedly about their growing flowers, bushes, and colorful blooms, Ping had only an empty pot.

His mother comforted him.

"You have done everything you could," she said. "When it's time to see the emperor, simply take him the pot and tell him the truth."

When the year was over, children from across the kingdom arrived at the palace carrying magnificent flowers of every color and shape. Their pots overflowed with beautiful plants.

Ping felt embarrassed carrying his empty pot. He wanted to turn around and go home, but he remembered his mother's words.

So he stood quietly among the crowd.

The emperor walked slowly past each child, looking carefully at every flower. To everyone's surprise, he did not smile.

Finally, he came to Ping.

"Why is your pot empty?" he asked.

Ping bowed his head.

"Your Majesty, I planted the seed you gave me. I watered it, cared for it every day, and tried everything I knew. But it never grew. I am sorry."

The emperor's face brightened.

He asked Ping to step forward.

Then he turned to the crowd and said, "A year ago, I gave each of you a seed. But I had boiled every seed before giving it away. Boiled seeds cannot grow."

The crowd fell silent.

"You could not have grown these flowers from the seeds I gave you. Many of you replaced the seed with another because you wanted to impress me."

The emperor placed his hand on Ping's shoulder.

"This boy brought me the only thing I asked for: honesty."

He declared Ping his successor, saying, "A ruler must have courage, integrity, and truthfulness. These qualities are worth far more than the most beautiful flower."

And so, Ping became the next emperor, remembered not for the flowers he grew, but for the honesty he showed when it mattered most.


Moral of the Story

Honesty is more valuable than success gained through deceit. It takes courage to tell the truth, especially when everyone else appears to be succeeding. In the end, integrity is rewarded because trust is the foundation of good leadership and strong character.





No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Empty Pot"

 "The Empty Pot" The Empty Pot Long ago in China, there lived a wise and aging emperor who loved flowers more than anything else. ...